Friday, January 2, 2009

Gifts That Last

With Christmas this year came many gifts in our home. I would consider our gifts to be relatively few and modest, but already they have reminded me of the words of Matthew:

"But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal" - Matthew 6:20

Perhaps the words of this would be different if plastic has been around when it was written, since moths and rust have no power over it. Already since Christmas my daughters have been struck with the sorrow of broken toys. There is nothing worse than raising the hopes of a child, only to see them crash back down when the wonderful toys they had hoped for are really worthless hunks of plastic to be thrown away.

The greatest gift I received and gave this year, was that I was able to spend over two full weeks home with my family. We did not go on any fancy vacations, in fact we barely left the house, but we were able to spend time together, which is worth more than all of the other gifts I received combined. I must go now, as my daughter is telling me that I need to finish on the computer because she has a surprise for me.

These are the gifts that truly last...

2 comments:

  1. She wrapped up some of her new presents all by herself and was distributing them to the family, but she couldn't start until I got off of the computer. It was nice to see how excited she was to share her presents with everybody else.

    ReplyDelete