Sunday, January 18, 2009

Beef, It's What's For Dinner

Ok, so this isn't really about the beef, it is about the pan. I contemplated buying a new set of cookware for Christmas, but decided I couldn't justify the cost--especially since I already have several decent pans. The one item I was really missing was a good saute pan.

I have been eyeing a clad saute pan for some time. This means that the entire pan has a layer of aluminum sandwiched between layers of stainless steel, so that it conducts heat evenly, without taking a long time to heat up like the pans with the thick bottoms do.

After Christmas I spotted a JCPenney brand cooks Tri-ply Covered Sauté Pan tri-ply saute pan for about $50 after shipping. The cheapest I have found anywhere else was $100, so I decided to give it a try. I have used it for cooking a few things, but nothing that let me really judge how evenly it cooked, until I browned this roast in it today. I was very impressed by how evenly it browned. An added bonus is that the handles have thin spots to prevent heat from transferring into the handles. Even with this pan sizzling hot, I can use the small helper handle without a hot pad.

My only regret is that I waited seven years to buy this!

1 comment: